The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation on this World Water Day announced a pledge of $50 million to address the water needs of more than one million people in sub-Saharan Africa and water stressed areas of India and Mexico. The pledge of $50 million over five years will fund a three-part strategy that will deliver access to sustainable safe water; increased advocacy and capacity; and expand knowledge on global water best practices for communities, governments, NGOs and donors.
900 million people (14% of the world population) do not have access to adequate clean water. More than 2.5 billion people (38% of the world population) live without basic sanitation.
The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation works to increase sustainable access to safe water for people in severe need within developing countries. By building appropriate water systems, training people, and supporting water treatment research, the Foundation has created local capacity for ongoing water quality testing and management.
Hilton Foundation's water program over the past two decades has focused on WASH – Water Access, Sanitation and Hygiene.
The Hilton Foundation grants announced thus far have gone to:
- WaterAid America, and World Vision to build sustainable safe water sources in the West African countries of Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali and Niger and to educate communities on sanitation and hygiene;
- CREPA (Centre Regional pour l'Eau Potable et l'Assainissement/ African Regional Centre for Water and Sanitation) to assess the functionality of 2,000 existing wells funded by the Hilton Foundation and to develop long-term sustainability guidelines for current and future projects;
- Water.org for a comprehensive communication and advocacy program;
- Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment and Security to implement the Water for the Poor program that provides West African WASH practioners, community members, NGOs, local governments and donor organizations with accessible information and tools on appropriate and available technologies and solutions; and
- The Foundation Center to build a web-based platform that will serve as a central hub for information on the global water crisis aimed at attracting more donors to participate in sustainable global water projects.
CSR Consulting Services
Exclusively for Corporate & NGO
Website @ http://csr.sudeshkumar.com
click on DIRECTORY in sidebar to register your NGO in skf NGO directory or simply write to: firstname.lastname@example.org